Thanks to a new program offered by the Hagerty Automobile Insurance Company called DriveShare, we are able to allow our clients to drive our classic cars knowing that they (and we) will be covered in the event of the unthinkable. The following policies are duplicated from the DriveShare website (as of Feb 12, 2018) for your convenience. In the event there are discrepancies between the policies stated on this page and the current DriveShare policy, the DriveShare policy will take precedent.
DriveShare provides insurance for both you, the driver ("renter"), and Sports Car Adventures ("owner"). Reservations and registration are handled on the DriveShare site. Register to become a driver here.
While we reserve the right to decline a tour for any reason, the following are the minimum eligibility requirements to do a tour with DriveShare & Sports Car Adventures:
• You must have held your current United States driver's license for at least two (2) consecutive years. If you have not held your current license number for at least two years, you must provide a previous license number(s) in addition to your current one.
• You must be at least 30 years of age to rent a vehicle.
• Your driving history may not show a major violation in the last 5 years.
• Characteristic major violations are listed below, but this list is not all-inclusive:
◦ Driving under the influence (DUI)
◦ Hit and run
◦ Reckless driving
◦ Other major violations may include speeding 20 mph or more over the speed limit, driving on a suspended license, etc. Each state may classify certain offenses differently.
• Your driving history may not show more than 2 minor violations in the last 3 years, or more than 1 minor violation in the last year.
• You cannot have any criminal convictions on your record in the last 10 years. These convictions include, but are not limited to, the following:
◦ DWI, DUI, implied consent, any drug related violation, or open container violation, manslaughter, negligent homicide, felony involving a motor vehicle (including but not limited to hit and run, leaving the scene of an accident, reckless driving, driving/operating while license is suspended/revoked, license suspension for points, license revoked, resisting arrest, or failing to report an accident).
• You must possess a mobile phone in your own name that we can verify through text message.
• You must be a registered user of DriveShare. Note: Acceptance of a renter into the DriveShare program shall be in the sole discretion of DriveShare. As a renter you are required to notify DriveShare of any changes to your eligibility, including and not limited to the status of a driver’s license, or any criminal charges, prior to renting a car using the services. Failure to notify and gain proper approvals will result in your account being deactivated. In addition, you will be personally liable for all damages and related legal fees as well as vehicle insurance claims and damages.
Renter Eligibility Continued Monitoring: DriveShare may periodically monitor any renter’s driving record and criminal history to ensure that such renter continues to qualify for membership under our Renter Eligibility Requirements. In addition, renter reviews can be triggered by a number of events. These may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• External notification by the State DMV (if supported by the driver license issuer state)
• External notification by any DriveShare user
• Internal notification by the DriveShare system functionality that we may establish and maintain from time to time and in our sole discretion
Only approved DriveShare drivers can book and drive a car while it is under a DriveShare reservation. To be an “approved DriveShare driver” means that the member has submitted his or her Driver's License information, the driving history continues to meet the eligibility requirements, and the member is still in good standing.
The renter of a vehicle may allow any approved DriveShare driver to drive the car; all drivers shall be jointly and severally liable during the rental, but the renter shall remain primarily liable for the rental.
Engaging in any Prohibited Uses with a DriveShare vehicle will be grounds for fees, suspension or cancellation of your DriveShare membership. It will also lower the renter's liability coverage to state minimum limits or nullify coverage where allowable by applicable state law; if the owner has encouraged the engagement in a Prohibited Use, their coverage may be similarly reduced. Engaging in any Prohibited Uses may also eliminate any coverage for the renter for any claims related to physical damage.
Prohibited vehicle uses and activities include:
• Permitting someone who is not an approved DriveShare driver to drive a DriveShare vehicle.
• Driving a manual transmission car without being expert in the use of clutches and manual transmissions. Note: If the drive train of a manual transmission car is damaged, the renter will be presumed to be at fault and will be held fully liable for repair of any damaged components of the car.
• Allowing the DriveShare vehicle to be pushed or towed by anyone other than an authorized law enforcement or a DriveShare approved service vehicle.
• Using a DriveShare vehicle
◦ to tow or push anything
◦ other than on paved roads (whether "off-roading", driving on unimproved roads or parking areas, or otherwise)
◦ in any race, test or competition
◦ with the intention to cause damage, or with wanton, willful, or reckless disregard for safety
◦ to carry persons or property for hire, such as a taxi or parcel delivery service. You may, however, use the car for business purposes, such as attending meetings and carrying associated materials
◦ unless a reservation has been booked. Using DriveShare vehicles without reservations or outside your reservation time constitutes unauthorized use
◦ during or due to use in the commission of a crime or any other illegal activity or purpose
◦ while the driver is under the influence of
▪ alcohol above the legal limit or
▪ any drug or medication under the effects of which the operation of a vehicle is prohibited or not recommended
◦ when it has been loaded beyond its rated capacity or with more passengers than the vehicle has seat belts
◦ outside the continental United States or
◦ without a valid license, or if you do not meet our eligibility requirements. It is your responsibility to inform us when your license is expired or suspended, or if you believe you may no longer meet our Eligibility Requirements
◦ to transport any flammable, toxic, volatile, dangerous or illegal substances
◦ to transport a pet outside of a pet carrier that keeps all pet hair inside the carrier
• Making any alterations, additions or improvements to any vehicle.
• Smoking in the car.
• Fueling a DriveShare vehicle with an improper type of fuel.
Wear and Tear Policy
Light “wear and tear” that is part of the normal operation of a classic and/or exotic vehicle is an inherent part of renting out a car; the owner is not “protected” against light wear and tear, nor is the renter “responsible” for wear and tear resulting from normal usage of the car. Wear and tear may include engine wear, brake and suspension wear, minor scuffing of the interior surfaces, as well as minor (less than 1 inch in length) nicks, scratches, abrasions or dents to the exterior (including wheels) normally associated with street parking, shopping cart bumps, and the like.
However, renters are fully responsible for, and DriveShare does not provide any protection to renters for 1) any damage related to “misuse” or Prohibited Uses of the vehicle, 2) any damage to the interior of the car, or 3) any mechanical damage resulting from a renter’s improper driving (e.g., clutch damage from rough driving, suspension damage from running over speed bumps at high speed or into curbs, continuing to drive with warning indicator lights illuminated, etc).
A vehicle listed on DriveShare with its original clutch must be less than 5 years old to be eligible for consideration of reimbursement for clutch repairs. If the car is more than 5 years old, it may still be considered eligible if the clutch has been replaced by a factory certified mechanic fewer than 5 years ago.
If it has been determined that renter misuse is the cause of the clutch damage, and written certification of that determination by a certified mechanic has been submitted, the owner will be entitled to proportional reimbursement. This proportional reimbursement is calculated by reference to the otherwise expected remaining life of the clutch, based on the mileage at the end of the reservation.
We strongly suggest each owner should check with renter as to clutch proficiency prior to providing the car to the renter. We also recommend a joint test drive of the vehicle as per our checkout process, as each vehicle's clutch will perform differently.
None of the above affects the basic principle that a renter must be proficient in use of a clutch, or they may be held liable for costs associated with the resulting damage to an owner’s car.
Tickets and Moving Violations Policy:
Should a renter get a ticket, the renter is responsible for paying any ticket/s received during the reservation as well as any parking ticket/s received 24 hours after the end of the rental. If you find a parking ticket on your car or one is mailed to you, please pay it, and send a copy to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reimburse you by adding the amount to your next owner payment. (Please note that DriveShare is not responsible for late fees added onto unpaid toll notices or parking tickets.) Please remember that for full reimbursement, we'll need to see the complete date and time of the violation, as well as a copy of the ticket.
If the ticket is a moving violation, and particularly a photo-ticket where the driver is not identified, we will provide (upon request to email@example.com) documentation to you to support your contesting of the violation and/or transferring of the violation to the renter. Please note that procedures differ by jurisdiction.
DriveShare Fees Policy
DriveShare charges service fees to the renter for each rental booked through driveshare.com. The fees for each are listed below. Failure to charge any of the below fees or other indulgences shall not constitute a waiver of the right to exercise the same in the event another fee should become due at any other time.
Renter Service Fee
10% service fee will be charged to the vehicle renter for each rental booked.
Booking Fee: Individual Owners
DriveShare takes 35% of each reservation. This fee covers the cost of the insurance, towing, payment processing, listing and availability management, and support services provided by DriveShare to both the owner and renter during the rental period.
A fee of $25.00 will be charged for any administrative event such as neglecting to pay for a parking or speeding ticket during a rental period. The at-fault user incurs the charge.
Returning a car late can really inconvenience the car owner. There is a 15-minute grace period with each rental. If a Renter returns a car late, without notifying and communicating with the Owner or DriveShare, they will be charged the hourly rate of that vehicle along with a $50.00 late fee for each hour the vehicle is late, up to $500. DriveShare commission will be charged on both the late fee and the hourly rate. These charges will be added in addition to the agreed upon rental rate between the Owner and Renter.
Note: this is not an issue with Sports Car Adventures since we will be with you in a separate car during the entire drive.
Citation & Tolls Fee
In the event that a Renter fails to pay for a parking ticket, speeding ticket, toll, or other citation that occurs during or subsequent to a rental, a fee equal to the highest amount on the citation will be charged to the Renter along with a $25.00 Administrative Fee.
We understand that cars get dirty out on the road. If the car is returned and is deemed to require additional cleaning due to smoke, pets, excessive trash, sand, neglect, etc., a cleaning fee of up to $350 may be imposed along with a $25.00 Administrative Fee.
*DriveShare reserves the right to charge an administrativeor inconvenience fee, plus any costs incurred by DriveShare, for categories not explicitly noted above.
DriveShare Maintenance Policy
Regularly Scheduled Maintenance: The Owner is responsible for obtaining regularly scheduled maintenance for the Car in accordance with all government and manufacturer recommendations ('Maintenance'). The Service may make certain assumptions about your Maintenance requirements based on information you provide about the Car. Upon request by DriveShare, the Owner is responsible for providing proof of Maintenance to DriveShare, in the form of acceptable documentation signed by the Car's mechanic, or if available, a proof of maintenance feature on the Service. Should the Owner fail to do this, DriveShare may suspend the Car from the Service until acceptable proof of Maintenance is received.
Operability: The Owner is responsible for maintaining the Car in a way that is safely operable by any Renter. The Owner may not place in the Car any modifications, devices, equipment or other items that may interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle.
Cleanliness: The Owner is responsible for making sure that the Car is clean at the start of each Rental period.
Failure to maintain your car in sound mechanical condition will subject your car to removal from the marketplace. Furthermore, you are responsible for all costs flowing from the failure to properly maintain the car and up to a $250 Administrative Fee.
DriveShare User Policies
August 15, 2017
DriveShare Smoking Policy
Renters or their passengers are not permitted to smoke in any vehicle in the DriveShare marketplace. If the owner reports the smell of smoke within 24 hours after a reservation has ended, that renter will be assessed a cleaning fee of up to $350 along with a $25.00 Administrative Fee. The renter may also be subject to removal from the marketplace.
If there is a smoke smell at the beginning of the reservation, please report it via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the checkout app at the very beginning of your reservation so that you are not held responsible for the violation. If the owner smokes in their car, it is their responsibility to include this information in the listing. If the owner fails to inform a renter that their vehicle smells of smoke prior to the beginning of the rental, the renter may be entitled to a full refund and the owner subject to a fee or removal from the marketplace.
DriveShare Pet Policy
Pets are not allowed in cars without the owner’s explicit consent. If an owner reports that a renter has transported a pet without their authorization, the renter will be subject to additional fees and may also be subject to removal from the marketplace.
DriveShare Late Return Policy
Owners are counting on renters to return the car at the originally scheduled time; failure to do so can result in significant inconvenience for the owner. Please be considerate and return the car on time, and if there is any chance there will be a late return, contact the owner immediately to request an extension. If an extension cannot be booked (whether because the owner or car are unavailable, there are insufficient funds, or otherwise), the renter must return the car at the originally scheduled end time.
To assess a late fee for the day, the owner should e-mail email@example.com within 24 hours of the scheduled end of the reservation, identifying the renter’s name and the time the vehicle was returned. If the renter disputes the timing, they should provide evidence indicating when the car was actually returned.
Late fees charged to the renter are described in our Fees Policy, and begin to accrue following the 15 minute grace period. They are billed in increments of an hour. In the event of very substantial lateness, additional fees may be assessed.
DriveShare Cancelation Policy
Renters may cancel their trip through our site or mobile app, and the cancellation is effective immediately. Rentals may be cancelled with at least 48 hours notification at no charge. If a cancellation is made with less than 48 hours notification, the canceling user will be charged the full fee of the Rental plus a $25 inconvenience fee. If an owner wishes to cancel a booked trip, they must notify the renter via on-site messaging at least 48 hours in advance, and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate their desire to do so. Renters are counting on owners to provide the car, so repeated cancellations will subject the owner to removal from the marketplace.
DriveShare Security Deposit Policy
We require a security deposit (minimum $500) before you may drive the car. If your payment card is a debit card, this amount will be deducted from your account; if it is a credit card, the amount will be pre-authorized. In each case, this will usually happen when you initially rent the car. However, if the trip is scheduled to start more than a week from the time you’ve paid for the rental, the security deposit will be charged 7 days prior to the trip starting; if the security deposit fails, your trip will be automatically cancelled. This deposit will be reversed 72 hours after you return the car in the condition that you first rented it. Depending on your bank and the means of payment, it may take up to 7 business days after we release the deposit for the funds to be available in your account. Credit cards will usually show a swifter return of the funds availability, as they will be a release of authorization.
DriveShare Gas Policy
Renters are responsible for replacing any gas used during the rental, using the appropriate fuel (i.e., regular, premium, or diesel). If a car is returned with less gas than when it was picked up, in order to seek reimbursement, the owner should report the cost of replacing the shortage to the renter and email@example.com within 72 hours, including a receipt, and the renter will be charged for the cost, plus an inconvenience fee. Photographs of the receipt and photographs of the fuel levels must be included and must have been taken within the first 24 hours of the end of the trip. We recommend that owners keep the tank full in order to make it easier for everyone to determine how much gas the renter should refill. Renters should keep gas receipts for at least 5 days in case there is any dispute by the owner.